KUBA 2016 Election and Member Update meeting
On Thursday, April 21, the Kingston Uptown Business Association (KUBA) held their 2016 Election and Member Update event at Two Ravens Tavern on Wall Street.
KUBA President Jane Garrity opened the meeting with a recap and progress report on some of the key focus areas for the organization.
- As of that day, KUBA had grown to approximately 120 members and Garrity acknowledged the hard work of the membership team and the success of the recent membership drive.
- Thanks to productive collaboration between KUBA, Mayor Noble, former Mayor Gallo, and their respective administrations, reconstruction of the two Front Street public parking lots will be completed in the coming months. The lot adjacent to Neko’s Pharmacy will be completed first, then the other lot adjacent to the former Frogmore Tavern.
- In recapping a recent Board meeting with Mayor Noble, the Mayor has since initiated a city-wide parking study to explore new options and methods to meet the parking demands of the City.
- The Mayor has also confirmed that any non-city sponsored public events to be held in Kingston will require as part of the permitting process a “carry-in/ carry-out” clean up policy that will require event organizers to clean the streets and sidewalks within 24 hours after the event.
- Way finding and signage concerns to guide visitors from the Thruway and elsewhere are a shared concern for KUBA and the Mayor, but state and local ownership of property parcels make it a complex undertaking and therefore a low priority at this time.
- After meetings with the city and Police Chief Tinti, new official and more visible ‘No Smoking’ signs have been installed under the Pike Plan canopies.
After the member update, a slate of four new candidates nominated to each serve two year terms on the KUBA Board were presented. A vote was called and the four candidates were approved unanimously. The new KUBA Board Members for 2016 are:
Territory Manager, Paychex
Owner, Red Goat Social Media
Owner, Potter Realty
|Bridget Smith Bruhn
Branch Manager, Rhinebeck Bank
Garrity also announced that the Board unanimously approved the addition of a fifth officer role for the KUBA Board.
“Director of Communications: Responsible for internal communications between committees, and managing KUBA’s interface with electronic communications (including Facebook, email, the KUBA web site, etc.) and the hosting agency, CIX Communications.”
Garrity then nominated Philip Bender-Tymon, co-owner of Petalos Floral Design, who has been leading communications activities for KUBA for more than a year. Bender-Tymon was elected unanimously to the role.
KUBA would like to express our gratitude to Two Ravens Tavern – one of our recent new KUBA members! – for hosting the event and for providing amazing food and great service!